My first encounter with Rasam.....

It was a scorching Monday afternoon. 4 restless classes left students exhausted. Even more torture awaited us, as chem assignment was due. Obviously, food was necessary to survive (mess-food is an exception, but constraint too).

So, after rushing out of LHC, i rushed straight to the mess, without halting at Bru or Aavin, even without "sight-cing"!! What a pity, bful girls are so scarce here :(

Back from the slight diversion. I find myself at the mess--a synonym for 'hell'. I peep inside---a row of soldiers gossiping n chomping inedible food. I got ready to be a part of the battalion, yet be distinct (my behavioral attributes account for this)...

My shivering limbs inch towards to have look at my lunch-to-be. Papad-like rotis, i hate them. Beetroot vegetable & Dal, eatable. Curd (soon to be transformed into a royal glassful of sweet Lassi), enjoyable. Then my eyes catch a horrible sight- Rasam.

It was the first time i had gathered enough strength to stare at it. It looked like a brown muddy monster, dancing & splashing in its vessel, waiting to eat people rather been eaten!! Some mysterious force lifts up my hand to catch hold of the handle. My incessant sweating makes it difficult, its ugly face made it almost impossible. But i conquer it with a friend's help.

As i sit down for a face-off with my enemy, chills run down through my spine hearing it chuckle. Annoyed, i try to crush it beneath a hefty blob of rotten rice. But even the mighty rice seems helpless, as Rasam feeds on rice's flesh!! Suddenly, dangerous insects & creepy plants appear on my plate from no-where. I breathe the name of God and start gobbling up. Gradually, Rasam fills my hands, enters my nerves and tries to sneak into my brain. But i still keep fighting, on & on...

Finally, victory kisses my hands (not feet!!). As i move to keep the plate, wearing a victorious grin, i see Rasam re-appear. It then winks at me naughtily, proving its immortality. Flawless victory. Truly, i remain a loser.....

---THOR

Comments